- Fry rava with little oil until you get the aroma. Then keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add channa dhal and urad dhal.
- When it gets little brown add chopped onions and chilies and fry till onions are golden brown.
- Then add dices beetroot and corn and allow it to cook by adding a little salt.
- Break the curry leaves with hands and add to it.
- Cover and allow it to cook for few minutes.
- Then add water and allow it to boil.
- When the water starts boiling, add rava slowly. Keep stirring while adding rava.
- Cover the lid and allow the rava to cook for few minutes on low heat.
- Then add coriander leaves on top and stir and serve hot.
Ingredients for Salad Wild Rice – 1 cup Brown Lentils – ½ cup Green Onions (chopped) – 3 Celery stalk (diced) – 1 Red bell Pepper (diced) – 1 Water – 4 cups Salt Dressing: Extra- Virgin Olive oil – 1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar – 2 Tb spoon Dijon Mustard – 2 tsp Ground black pepper – ¼ tsp Fresh Italian parsley – 1 Tb spoon (I used Cilantro / coriander leaves) Fresh Lemon thyme (minced) – 2 tsp Sweet marjoram (minced) – 2tsp ( I have not used this) Method:
- Place the wild rice, lentils and water in the rice cooker.
- Cook for one hour.
- Then add green onions, celery and red bell pepper.
- Close the lid and continue cooking until rice is tender for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the salad and place in a serving bowl. Cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, black pepper and fresh herbs.
- Drizzle the dressing over the rice and lentil salad and toss well.
- Serve at room temperature or chill for up to 4 hours before serving.
PS: I have used Uncle Bens Wild rice. I did not use the seasoning that came along with it. Uncle Ben rice is a mixture of wild rice and long grain rice.
After a lovely warm week, we had a sudden temperature drop and a cold weekend. So, din't step out of the house on Saturday. On sunday we had planned to have a Republic Day potluck. So, on saturday I wanted to try Thai food as we had planned to stay at home. Had all time for trying this dish. We had a fusion lunch that day, Thai and Indian combination... Now a days my daughter is having crazy cravings at crazy times. Suddenly she got up and she wanted to eat sweet Pongal. When I had made it for Sankranthi, she had loved it..and I think she remembered it all of a sudden and asked for it...So, made Pongal for her along with Thai food.
Ingredients:Extra-firm Tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes - 1 package (8 ounces) Soy sauce – 1Tb spoon Lime juice – 1/2 Tb spoon Yellow onion, chopped - 1 medium Red bell pepper, diced - 1 Green bell pepper, diced -1 Garlic, finely chopped - 1/2 teaspoon Flour - 1 Tb spoon Vegetable broth - 3 cups Nori flakes (or other crushed seaweed) - 1 teaspoon Crushed pineapple, with juice - 1/4 cup Vegan Thai red curry paste - 1-2 Tb spoons Zucchini, diced – 1 medium Mung bean or soy sprouts - 1 cup Method:
- Marinate the tofu cubes in the soy sauce and lemon for at least half an hour.
- Stir or shake often to cover all the pieces.
- Heat a large, non-stick wok or sauce pan over medium-high heat, and add the onion, peppers, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, until onions are becoming tender for about 8 minutes.
- Add the flour, stirring constantly, and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan, for about 2 more minutes, until the flour begins to brown.
- Continue to stir as you add the vegetable broth, nori flakes, crushed pineapple, and curry paste.
- Turn down the heat to low and simmer until it's thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the tofu and its marinade to a hot, non-stick skillet.
- Cook, stirring gently, until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Continue to cook without stirring until the tofu is browned on one side; then turn it over to brown on all sides. Add it to the curry mixture.
- Return the skillet to the heat and sauté the diced zucchini until it is tender but still crisp.
- Add it to the curry mixture.
- Cook the curry for about 5 more minutes. Serve over rice, sprinkled with bean sprouts and topped, if you like, with chutney.
- Fry moong dhal with little ghee till golden brown.
- Add water and boil for 10 minutes.
- When it is half boiled, add rice to it. Add enough water for it to boil.
- Keep adding ghee to it while it is cooking.
- When the rice has cooked, add coconut elaichi powder and jaggery and stir well.
- Keep adding ghee. Add milk to it and stir it all.
- Then fry raisins and cashews in ghee and add to the pongal.
- Serve hot with more ghee on top.
When I called home yesterday, my mom had made lemon rice..So, today I made lemon rice with dill - capsicum and channa usli along with the rice...Ingredients: For Lemon Rice
Rice – 2 cups Dill – 1 cup Capsicum – 1 big Onion – 1 small Channa Dhal – 1 tsp Urad dhal – 1 tsp Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp Ground nuts – 1 Tb spoon (optional) Turmeric – ¼ tsp Chilies – 5-7 Peas – ¼ cup Curry Leaves Coriander leaves Oil – 3 -4 Tb spoon Lemon Juice – 2 Tb spoon SaltMethod:
- Cook rice and keep aside.
- Wash dill and chop them finely.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Then add ground nuts, channa dhal, urad dhal and allow it to turns little brown.
- Add onion, chilies and curry leaves and fry till onion turns golden brown.
- Add dill and fry for 2 minutes. Then add capsicum ( chop them to cubes) and peas to it.
- Sprinkle salt on it, stir and allow them to cook until soft.
- Then add turmeric powder and stir it well.
- Mix the gojju with rice, add lemon juice and coriander leaves on top and mix it all together.
- Serve hot.
To Make Channa Usli:
Usually in my place they make usli either with brown, or Kabul channa. I thought if combining both and make Usli..
Ingredients: Brown Channa - 1/2 cup Garbonzo / Kabul Channa - 1/2 cup Onion - 1 Chillis - 4 -5 Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp Curry leaves Coriander Leaves Lemon Juice - 1 Tb spoon Coconut - 2 Tb spoon (optional) Oil - 1 Tb spoon Salt Method:
- Soak both Channa's in water overnight.
- Pressure cook the channa for 2 whistles.
- Strain the channa and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds.
- After it splutters, add onions and chillis, fry till golden brown.
- Then add boiled channa to it, add salt and mix well.
- Then combine coriander leaves, coconut and lemon juice to it.
- I have not added the coconut to it.
- You can add salt to the channa while pressure cooking them.
- I boiled the channa directly on the stove and added little salt during the process.
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Process briefly until well mixed.
- Add the butter and coconut and process until the mixture resembles a fine Meal.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and press into the bottom to form a crust.
- Bake until light brown around the edges, about 25 min.
- Combine the sugar, eggs, lemon juice and zest, baking powder and salt in a blender or in a food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- When the crust is ready, pout the filling into the hot crust.
- Continue to bake until the filling begins to brown around the edges and is just springy to touch, about 30 minutes.
- Let it cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares, dust the confectioners evenly.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Oil – 2 Tb spoon Salt Method:
- In a hot pan, add oil and fry the onions until golden brown.
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and fry them with onions till they become soft.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste to it and fry till oil leaves.
- Add the dry methi leaves, and all the powders to it and fry for a minute.
- Then add the chicken and add salt to it and mix everything together and let it cook of low flame for 5 minutes.
- Then add yogurt to it and allow it to cook till the chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves on top and serve it with chapatti or poori or rice.
- Dry jaggery and coconut in sun so that it will be easier to cut them later.
- When it has dried, cut them to small pieces.
- Grate the skin of the coconut and then cut them to small pieces.
- Fry ground nuts on medium heat till brown.
- Then remove the skin and split them to half.
- Keep dhalia also in sun till they become crisp.
- Fry Till also till they are brown.
- Then mix all of them together.
In the evening, myself and my daughter will go to friends house to distribute the till mixture(ellu beerodu). She is exited about it...So, once again wish you all Happy Sankranti and enjoy the till mixture..I would like to send this to Festive Food hosted by Indian Khanna Thank you Preethi for hosting the event.
Ingredients: Puff Pastry Eggs - 2 Onions - 1 Tomato - 1 Ginger Paste - 1/2 tsp Garlic Paste - 1/2 tsp Methi Leaves - 1/4 cup (Optional) Green Bell Pepper - 1 Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder - 1/4 tsp Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp Salt Oil - 1 Tb spoon Method:
- Preheat oven to 400 degree.
- Boil eggs, cut them into halves and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan, add onions and fry till golden brown.
- Then add methi leaves, fry for a min and then add tomatoes pieces.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and fry till oil leaves.
- Then add all powders to it and at last add green pepper, salt and fry till soft.
- Add egg halves into the masala and cover the eggs with it so that the eggs will soak the masala.
- Allow the masala to cool.
- Take one pastry sheet and cut them into 4 equal parts.
- Take one part of pastry sheet, put one spoon of the masala at the bottom and then place one half of the egg along with some masala on top.
- Then apply water on four sides of the pastry sheet so that it will hold together.
- Fold all four corners together as shown below.
- Repeat the procedures for the other halves of the eggs.
- Bake them in the oven for 20 minutes or till golden brown.
- Serve hot along with a cup of hot tea.
PS: Methi and green pepper is optional for this egg puff. If you are doing a veggi puff, you can follow the same procedure, just add vegetables of your choice.
I wanted to make something quick as it was already lunch time and saw all the veggies. Added soy for proteins.. My husband liked it a lot as it was a simple, light and healthy lunch..
- In a pan, add oil and fry onions till golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and ginger and garlic paste and fry till they soften.
- Then add chili powder, garam masala and turmeric powder and fry till oil leaves on top.
- Add all the veggies and salt and cook on medium heat until all veggies are soft (Do not add water).
- Take the hot dog bun and stuff the veggies and sprinkle fresh basil on top.
- Serve with little salad and some hot peppers.
PS: For the Soy, I first soaked them for few minutes till they are soft, then squeezed all the water out of it and added them directly to the veggies and cooked on low flame. You can use the masala as a side dish for chapati or rice. You can use any veggies that you have. If you are a non-veg lover, you can add chicken or fish also to it.
ಕಡಲೆ ಹಿಟ್ಟು / Besan / Gram flour - 1 cup ಹಾಲು / Milk - 1 cup ತುಪ್ಪ / Ghee - 1 cup ಒಣಗಿದ ಕೊಬ್ಬರಿ / Dry coconut - 1 cup ಸಕ್ಕರೆ / Sugar - 2 - 3 cups Raisins/Cashew/Almonds - 1 cup (all combined)
- Take a heavy bottomed non stick pan and add all the above ingredients.
- Keep stirring all together on medium heat.
- Everything will come together and will start leaving the pan.
- Add the batter to a greased pan and allow it to cool for few min.
- Then cut them to required shape, before they dry completely.